Monday, November 17, 2008

Welcome and afternoon tea at the Burj al Arab

I have decided to start this blog to share inspirational design ideas from around the world. I am currently working as a Management Consultant in Dubai studying for an interior design diploma in my spare time and I want to share my inspiration whilst working away from England on my interior design journey.

I have been in Dubai for about 2 weeks now and it seems to be a crazy mix of modernism, futurism and excitement. The place is buzzing with new projects, a city which is evolving daily and the sheer scale and speed at which things are built is unprecendented anywhere else in the world at this time. So with the rest of the world slowing down with a Global recession around the corner it seems Dubai is still charging ahead with all the kind of plans every architect dreams about. I recently heard that as soon as the architect's ink is dry they have started building!! No waiting around for planning persmission like the UK.

So last weekend we went to visit the infamous Burj Al Arab, the famous seven star hotel with the price tag to match at a mere £1, 400 per night and a royal suite on the top floor demanding around £12, 000 a night. It is frequented by Russian billionaires and even has a murder story from 2006 when a Syrian was murdered selling diamonds in one of the rooms. My friend and I indulged in the 7 course afternoon tea which was lovely and I have attached some pictures of the cakes and sandwiches which we paid £60 for the pleasure of enjoying.

My friend Abby and I enjoying our pre tea champagne


5th course - Berries and cream

The interior itself was a complete surprise, I felt like I had stepped onto the Starship enterprise, it makes a statement but is lacking taste in many ways. I have posted some pictures so you can see the free reign the designer was given for using gold paint!! A favourite colour out here so I need to get used to it......



Burj al Arab Interior view from 1st floor




No comments: